When it’s cold outside many people try and stay warm by cranking up the furnace or snuggling next to a warm fireplace and drinking a nice cup of hot chocolate.
One thing many people may not know is that hot chocolate is also healthy for you. Most healthy vending snacks and hot cocoa are packed with flavonoids, antioxidants, and calcium, which are all beneficial to our health.
Take a look at these 10 reasons why this delightful drink should be high on your list during the wintertime.
- It contains antioxidants that help reduce the amount of free radical cells in your body that produce cancer. They also can prevent heart disease and reduce the aging process.
- Improves blood flow with the flavonoids in the cocoa that process nitric oxide. Not only does hot chocolate warm your body, it lowers your blood pressure and improves your heart.
- Feeling stressed? Drink some hot chocolate to alleviate many emotional conditions like stress, anxiety and depression. The key ingredient is serotonin which acts as an antidepressant by releasing endorphins in your body to boost your mood.
- Increase your brain activity drinking hot chocolate. The drink allows oxygen to move more freely to your brain which will help you think clearly and sharper.
- Hot chocolate could help you to losing weight. Drinking just a small amount reduces your appetite.
- You can buy it sugar-free. Not only does that help reduce the amount of excess sugar in your system, it also keeps insulin from spiking which is great for those suffering from Type 2 diabetes. It also means your body can burn fat quicker, helping you lose weight too!
- Hot chocolate is abundant in iron, which can give you a boost to your immune system and energy levels.
- The oxalic acid ingredient in hot cocoa can help keep your teeth healthy by lowering acid and reducing plaque.
- Drinking dark cocoa gives you an abundance of potassium, copper, magnesium and other vitamins and minerals. It’s like taking a daily multivitamin.
- Flavonoids will also help you revitalize your skin’s complexion and condition.
Surprised by these facts? It’s just another reason to reach for that delicious cup of hot cocoa when you need to warm your body.