October 29th is a day we set aside each year to celebrate the many virtues of oatmeal. It’s so much more than a “stick to your ribs” breakfast food and does offer many more benefits as a hardy wintertime breakfast food.
These are just a few of the benefits you can enjoy from adding oatmeal as a regular part of your diet and as part of your healthy vending machine snack options for your employees.
1. Helps Control Blood Sugar. By slowing down the rate of digestion, it can help people with diabetes maintain better glycemic control and may aid in the prevention of insulin resistance among diabetic patients.
2. Rich in Essential Nutrients. Some of the nutrients you’ll find in a single serving of oatmeal include: manganese, copper, biotin, vitamin B1, magnesium, zinc, protein, fiber, phosphorus, selenium, iron, thiamin, and molybdenum.
3. Lowers LDL Cholesterol. Otherwise known as bad cholesterol, LDL cholesterol is the one that is associated with high cholesterol. Oatmeal is one of the main foods recommended to help bring cholesterol levels back within the normal range.
4. Helps Boost Energy. Not only that, Medical Daily reports that consuming oatmeal within three hours of taking a run can improve endurance during the run while increasing the fat-burning benefits of the run. It’s also a great afternoon snack that can help employees stay alert in the afternoon while avoiding late day energy crashes because it doesn’t cause a sharp insulin spike.
5. May Reduce Cancer Risk. In fact, the American Cancer Society recommends eating a diet high in fiber to reduce your risk of cancer. Oatmeal has both soluble fiber and insoluble fiber making it an outstanding choice.
Finally, there’s the versatility factor. You can add a wide range of fruits and vegetables to create a meal or snack that is comfort food in its sincerest form without a great deal of calories. This makes a nearly perfect food for anyone who is looking to improve health, lose weight, or fill a belly – during any season of the year, which is why oatmeal is the perfect healthy snack for employers to include in their employee vending machine selections.